Genesis Breyer P-Orridge has been one of my dearest and most human friends for the past few decades. Gen’s a musician, icon, cut-and-paste artist, occultist, and pandrogyne with whom I’ve worked and played in many ways over the years.
Gen founded The Coum Transmissions, Throbbing Gristle, and Psychic TV, with whom I played keyboards in the early 2000’s. Gen also embarked on a very personal cut-and-paste experiment with partner Jackie, where they both sought to unite through psychic and physical remixing.
Gen is currently challenged with a case of leukemia and has to stay close to the oxygen machine. But it seemed like a good excuse to bring out the portable recorder (generously funded by our Patreon subscribers!) and have a conversation.
Stephen decided to leave this mostly unedited, to give y’all a taste for what it’s like to sit in Gen’s apartment and just have a real conversation. Don’t worry, though – a conversation with Gen is a conversation about the fate of our species and reality itself.
Please accept it as our holiday gift.
All the music on today’s show comes from Genesis’ extensive catalog:
- Just Like Arcadia from Allegory and Self (PTV 1988)
- Caresse Song from Allegory and Self (PTV 1988)
- Distant Dreams-Part Two from Mission of Dead Souls (Throbbing Gristle)
- Thank You Part II from Thank You (PTV/PTV3 2011)
- Walkabout from 20 Jazz Funk Greats (Throbbing Gristle 1979)
- Hot On The Heels of Love from 20 Jazz Funk Greats (Throbbing Gristle 1979)
- Lies and Then from Hell is Invisible, Heaven is Her/E (PTV3 – 2007 feat. Douglas Rushkoff!)
- Dead On Arrival (Throbbing Gristle 1978)
- Exotic Functions (Throbbing Gristle 1983)
- Being Lost from Allegory and Self (PTV 1988)
- United (Throbbing Gristle 1978)
- Thee Dweller from Allegory and Self (PTV 1988)
- Zyklon B Zombie from Second Annual Report (1977)
- Thank You – Part One from PTV/PTV3 2011)
Live GPO photo: Flickr User “Berto Garcia”